Changing habits may help ease your symptoms and keep you healthy long-term. These changes include:
- Eating a healthy diet. Eating a balanced diet, such as the FDA’s My Plate diet (http://www.choosemyplate.gov/) can give you energy and keep you healthy. Keep alcohol and caffeine intake to a minimum because they can affect your sleep and make your hot flashes worse.
- Quit smoking. Smoking can trigger hot flashes, weaken your bones, and irritate your bladder. It also increases the risk of many kinds of cancer, damages your lungs, and causes heart disease.
- Exercise. Regular exercise keeps your weight down, helps your sleep, makes your bones stronger, and lifts your mood.
- Reduce stress. If done on a regular basis, stress reduction exercises like meditation or yoga can help you manage your symptoms.
- Lose weight. If you are obese, losing extra weight can help reduce hot flashes and can improve your overall health.